Monday 21 October 2013

Veg through the winter

Because I grow for just two people I ALWAYS have stuff left over - everything left over when I prepare for a recipe I simply chuck in a plastic bag and tie a knot in the top and chuck in the freezer - that way you always have a ready chopped bit of green pepper or onion or whatever to hand to add to a chilli or something.  When I seem to have gathered lots of bits and bobs and they need culling this is what I do with them.



It doesn't look very appealing as they are all sizes and still frozen..... to explain.

This is my Dutch oven (you can just see the lid top right) - big enamel pot with lid - in which I always roast my meat.  So, the chicken breast has been carved for a roast dinner and some put to one side (foil and in fridge) for a sandwich.  The legs and wing joints are picked and put in a box for the fridge or freezer, with or without gravy.  They will get used in a soup or stew or pie.

I then pull the frame apart and put it back in the roasting pot, skin and all.  This is where the 'garden' comes in - I chuck in everything I want to get rid of from the freezer - do not worry about quantities, how it is cut or what the mix is I swear it always turns out great.  This mix was spring onions, red onion, yellow onion, celery,  red pepper, green pepper and broad beans. Just about cover it with water.  Lid back on and back in the oven at anything from 160 - 190 depending if I have anything else going on in there.  Ideally on its own at 160 and leave it for as long as you like.  Generally it gets a good four hours with a couple of checks there is still enough water and a couple of stirs to break up the goodies some more.  I sometimes don't even bother to do that if I am busy.  You can just leave it alone while you get on with your day - what could be simpler.  

When its convenient for you, take it out, strain it through a large sieve and you have a fantastic chicken stock.  In the fridge it will set like jelly.  You can then skim the chicken fat off the top and the stock is now good to use or to freeze.  On this occasion it never made it to the freezer I put it in a saucepan, added King Edward spuds, carrots, parsnips, topped up with water, cooked for about half an hour, added in the chicken pickings for about ten minutes to warm through; I then thickened it a little with cornflour and we had a great chicken stew - enough to feed four!!  Can't seem to be able to cook for two!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.