Thursday 4 June 2015

What's in my garden right now

.... not quite right now..... but what was in my garden on May 30th when these pictures were taken...

I suppose the most notable at this time of the year are the Granny Bonnets or columbines (Aquilegias).  They are one of the most incredible plants in the garden for sheer variety.  They interbreed and self-seed, so every year is a surprise.

They can be a few inches high and many varieties can grow to three feet high; there are even some that will reach five feet tall.  There are singles, doubles, bi-colours, lacy, pleated and on and on and on with endless variations in their structure and colours.  Take a look at this site just to give you a flavour:  My favourite Flowers   

Possibly my favourite is the white one which luckily keeps appearing.


white Granny bonnets

blue version





Most of them hang their heads

so be sure to lift them up as you pass

a tiny one almost hidden

love the white tips to the petals

The other 'shy' flower just about leaving me now is the anemone.  This is another where up close and personal is needed to fully appreciate how lovely it is - made of velvet and with a lovely crown in the centre.  This is the wood anemone - again there are many varieties and colours of this plant.

wood anemone
 I am pretty sure the next one is a small allium which is a pleasant surprise as I have never managed to succeed with its big blue brothers.  Let me know if you think it is something else.  I haven't made a note of this anywhere when it was planted but it looks like wild garlic to me so it should be an allium of some sort.






Here comes another unknown.  I have a list of twelve clematis planted in the garden - I am lucky if I see three of them come to flower.  The little alpine made an effort a couple of months ago and now this one has managed it.  The downside is I don't seem to have any record of it and - guess what - I think it was a mis-label again!!!!  I am pretty sure I planted a purple Warsaw Nike in this spot but this is what I have.  It resembles the common old Nelly Moser which must be my least favourite clematis but it has a centre like Josephine so maybe it will go on to produce more petals like she does.  We will see.  Right now I am suppressing disappointment and trying to celebrate any clematis that has what it takes to grow in my garden.





I'll leave you with another Granny's bonnet......... (not a self-portrait).  How lucky we are......





No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.