Wednesday 24 July 2013

Peas and beans

On Sunday I picked (probably) the majority of the peas and beans.  We had some peas for lunch and froze the rest along with the broad beans.

I have to crow about both of these - I know it isn't British to do so and humble pie should be the dish of the day, but there's no point in only sharing my disasters with you.  

I can honestly say I haven't had a single pea or bean that wasn't perfect.  I know this sounds weird and I do find it peculiar.  Every one has been free from any insect or other damage and are all just the bee's knees.  I honestly don't understand it.  

I do have a couple of notions as to why - new soil and in a raised bed.  I assume the soil carries no soil-born problems and I think the raised bed is great for drainage, shoving the veg up into the sunlight and giving loads of free air around the plants - win, win and win.

The broad beans are Dreadnought and the peas are Hurst Green Shaft.

Our Sunday dinner was our own peas and spuds and mint (sauce) we only bought in the lamb.... I can see how people go on to want their own pig and chickens.... don't think our lotty would stand up to that!



No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.