Tuesday 30 July 2013

Picking peas and bean the easy way


This is my favourite way to pick beans and peas - rip the plants up and sit down to pluck them.  I have cleared out the pea and broad bean plants  as they have come to the end of their production.  I had a decent crop from both lots and have frozen a few packets of two-portion size legumes.  They may get 'converted' to other things such as risotto or soup or in pasta.  Frozen isn't quite as good as fresh but they are still my own!


The emptied half a box is a bit of an experiment - I have sown some dwarf French beans, aptly named 'Speedy',  which I know is probably too late.  The truth is I am not fond of them so I don't care too much; I just want to see what happens.  I also bought some spinach seeds in hopes we can get some of that for our plate before we decamp at the end of October.  I have left some space in hopes we find some fast maturing calabrese plants I can put in - unlikely but who knows.  If not I may just shove in some carrot seeds and see if they do in time.

Anyone else who is here for the winter would be putting in their various brassicas but it it a waste of time for me.  I don't think there is anything I can plant to overwinter and give me some veg in April.  Please let me know if you know of anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.